We loved these cookies because they were flavorful, yet not overly sweet, even once decorated with sugary royal icing.
This is how Jacob, a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, describes his recipe:
"This recipe is inspired by Madava Farms' Crown Maple Syrup. The cookies from this recipe highlight our Dark Amber Syrup with a touch of ginger spice and molasses. It was tricky finding a good balance between the Crown Maple and the molasses because they are both strong flavors."
Scroll down (below Laurel's lovely photos) for the recipe. It sounds like a perfect holiday weekend project to us. Anyone else planning to bake cookies this weekend? What kind? Feel free to post your creations to our Facebook page.
Crown Maple Ginger People
150 grams Medium Brown Sugar
300 grams Crown Maple Sugar
454 grams Butter, Unsalted Room Temperature
43 grams Molasses
298 grams Dark Amber Crown Maple Syrup
795 grams Flour, All-Purpose
2.5 teaspns Ginger, Ground
2.5 teaspns Cinnamon, Ground
0.5 teaspns Cloves, Ground
0.75 teaspns Baking Soda
0.25 teaspns Baking Powder
1. Mix sugars and butter in a mixer or by hand until well creamed
2. Slowly add egs while mixing, scraping sides as necessary
3. Slowly add molasses and Crown Maple Syrup until incorporated
4. Aside, in a separate bowl, sift flour with spices
5. In 2 additions, add flour and spices until mixed
6. Flatten dough into a parchment lined sheet pan, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight
Roling and Baking Instructions:
1. Roll chilled dough to 1/8" - 1/4" over a flour dusted surface
2. Use your favorite cookie cut outs for shapes
3. Place cookie cut outs on a parchment lined sheet pan
4. Bake at 365 degrees F in a conventional oven for 10-15 minutes or until edges beging to lightly brown
Allow cookies to cool completely and then decorate!
**If you need to calculate grams to cups, there are lots of calculators available on the web, like this one.